- Job ID
- Rochester, New York, United States
- Job Type
Talascend is currently seeking a Network Architect for a contract opportunity located in Rochester, NY.
Functions as an advanced technical specialist with possible supervisory responsibility. Develops and applies advanced knowledge, engineering techniques, concepts, and approaches to unique engineering problems with minimal oversite. May supervise engineering staff on projects of medium to high complexity or serve as a senior technical specialist providing knowledge and advanced.
The Network Architect will be responsible for network architecture planning, development, design and implementation for utility and other clients. Analyzes clients business needs to develop telecommunications strategy and technology solutions. May offer technical advisory and consulting services to the client. Provides Subject Matter Expert (SME) support to business development and pursuit activities, including creating proposal, scope, level of effort estimation and implementation plans. Leads and participates in project execution and technical delivery.
Key duties include:
- Communicating directly with clients (sometimes non-technical clients) to identify current and future network and telecommunication needs
- Collaborate with, lead, and/or delegate responsibilities to a team of engineers
- Assesses and understand how industry standards for models apply to network design and implementation best practices
- Participates as technical subject matter expert on major projects and application roll-outs
- Responsible for developing and adhering to all engineering/quality processes and procedures and all documentation/tools
- Work hand-in-hand with project management on project delivery and technical issues
- Assists in developing and managing scope, schedule, and budget requirements
- Directs production teams and may coordinate multiple discipline activities
- Supports continuous improvement of project and internal processes
- Candidate should be well versed with change management, maintenance window activities and rollback procedures as they relate to migration strategies.
- Written and graphical documentation and processes development
- Validates work of lower level network engineers
- Capable of optimizing day-to-day operational stability with the continual need to improve the service and deploy new services, processes and technologies
- Understands, advocates, and supports IT strategies
- Support the pursuit and development of current and new business opportunities
- Deliver written communications especially pertaining to creating and publishing professional processes and procedures, including System Requirements, Method of Procedures (MOPs), work packages, Request for Information (RFI) and Request for Proposals (RFP), among other related deliverables.
- Create or expand utility communication systems which best meet client requirements
- Mentors and trains others on the network services team
- Is externally recognized in industry as an expert that enhances the Company brand
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
- Typically, a minimum of 8+ years network related work experience. Utility experience preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities
- Vendor and recognized independent certifications a plus (e.g. PMP, CISM, CCNP, CCDE, CCIE, etc.)
Preferred Technical Competencies:
- Advanced knowledge of IP and Data Network Design and engineering design principles, guides and standards
- Candidate must be a self-starter and able to work with minimum supervision
- Intermediate experience in designing and evaluating Data Networks (i.e. IP, Cybersecurity, Firewall, etc.)
- Specific product knowledge and hands-on configuration and procurement experience on a variety of Network vendors
- Advanced knowledge of various protocols such as, but not limited to TCP/IP eBGP, iBGP, OSPF, EIGRP MPLS
- Strong understanding of, and experience with, most of the following network technologies: 802.1q, QoS, NAT, ACLs, IPSEC, and SNMP
- Strong experience with configuring, testing and evaluating IP networks
- Proven experience with installation, commissioning, and integrating Data Network devices such as routers, switches, fiber and cable management, and rack power distribution
- Ability to evaluate, refine, and implement network designs
- Professional network documentation skills, including, but not limited to the development and updating of network drawings, rack layouts, cut sheets and various technical deliverables
- Knowledge of telecommunications technologies and architectures
- Experience with scoping engineering deliverable content
- Knowledge of utility industry and technology trends
- Experience with technical proposals
- Knowledge of network power systems and requirements
- Knowledge of, or experience with configuring RF/WiMax/Microwave radio equipment a plus
- Intermediate network security knowledge and practical application
- Advanced knowledge in design and implementation for highly resilient and scalable network architecture
- Intermediate knowledge of transport technologies such as DWDM, Carrier Ethernet, SONET, etc.
- IP4 and/or IPv6 address planning
- Intermediate knowledge of procurement & contract administration
- Intermediate knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating
- Intermediate business & financial acumen
- Network assessment experience
- Circuit capacity planning knowledge and/or experience
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
- Critical Thinking and Problem-Solving
- Advanced Oral and Written Communications
- Influence and Consensus Building
- Consulting Mindset
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Customer Focus
- Quality Assurance
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Local and Regional Travel up to 25-50%, some limited overnight travel may be required
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those qualified individuals who closely meet the qualifications of the position will be contacted. The details of the position are only a summary, other duties may be assigned as necessary.
Drug Screen may be required.
Talascend is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.