Senior Civil Designer
Talascend is currently seeking a Senior Civil Designer for a contract opportunity located in Houston, TX.
Experience should be in Site/land development earthworks, stormwater and road design and layout.
Directly performs work of a Sr. Designer in the Civil, Structural and Architectural (CSA) Engineering discipline within the Oil, Gas and Chemicals Business Unit. May be required to provide training and supervision of less experienced designers. This work includes the use of 2-D and 3-D Computer Aided Drafting & Design (CADD) tools in the preparation of civil site development deliverables such as layouts, study drawings, and detailed design models and construction drawings.
Candidates should have broad knowledge of civil works in grading, drainage, pavement, alignments, utilities and industry deliverables for execution of this work. Proficiency in use of client Standard Applications for civil design such as Microstation and InRoads is essential. Work with Engineering Group Supervisor, Sr. Civil/Site Engineer or Functional Civil/Site Lead to plan, budget, and schedule deliverables within the discipline.
- Civil/Site Designer shall receive operational supervision and technical guidance from a Senior Supervising Designer, Engineering Group Supervisor, Sr. Civil/Site Engineer or Functional Civil/Site Lead.
- May provide supervision to less experienced designers depending on work scope
- Establishes and maintains communication with design and engineering supervisors in charge of related disciplines and with administrative personnel within the group or project.
- Communicate closely with supervisors, and other disciplines to interpret notes and sketches.
- May be required to work on multiple projects and tasks while maintaining efficiency and quality of work.
- Plan, schedule, conduct and coordinate self-perform CADD work during all phases of the projects.
- Perform design and layout of civil infrastructure facilities, including but not limited to site drainage facilities and roads and associated earthworks.
- Produce 3D design models of civil earthworks, facilities and infrastructure using MicroStation, InRoads and Open Roads.
- Prepare clean, clear, and concise sketches and issued for construction (IFC) drawings to meet client and or client’s codes and standards.
- Prepare quantity estimates and material take-offs (MTOs) of Civil works, including but not limited to bulk earthworks, drainage facilities and finished surfacing.
- Manage Project CADD and modeling standards, workspace, seed files and ensure deliverables conform to discipline standards.
- Monitor and check work for compliance with approved design standards to provide quality design, reliable/safe plant operation and construction economy.
- Employ problem solving and critical-thinking skills when designing/developing engineered drawings to identify and resolve constructability issues.
- Prepare or assist with the preparation of assigned material requisitions and technical bid evaluations associated with civil site development.
- Take pride in work and takes initiative to expand knowledge base.
- Maintain up-to-date skills in client Standard Computer Applications (BSAPs) relevant to design work and ensures that maximum use is made thereof.
- Support the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation and satisfaction.
- Prepare as-builts from provided field data.
- Associates Degree in Civil Engineering or related field, or Certification in Computer Aided Design from a reputed institute.
- Minimum 10 Years of experience in 3D Civil modeling and drawing preparation for large national or international civil earthwork development projects.
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently should the project scope dictate.
- Ability to produce complex discipline deliverables with minimal guidance.
- Attention to detail and the proven ability to perform assigned tasks in an accurate and timely manner.
- Advanced capability with 2-D and 3-D CADD applications currently in use in the industry. Recent experience and proficiency with MicroStation, InRoads and SmartPlant Review desired.
- Experience with Bentley OpenRoads tools and OpenRoads Designer desired.
- Extensive experience in preparation and checking of civil site development design deliverables (concepts, drawings, and quantities) for site layout, site drainage, rough grading, finish grading, rigid and flexible pavements, railroad crossings, storm water and sanitary systems, fencing, underground utilities services and soil retention and stabilization structures.
- Ability to process large scale 3D data associated with Lidar, GIS and other surveys is desirable.
- Familiar with construction means and methods and ability to identify constructability issues, conflicting design and or unsuitability of current design.
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices and construction specifications.
- Knowledge of the application of engineering and construction materials related to the discipline’s design responsibilities.
- Knowledge of industry and regulatory standards, design criteria and codes relevant to the discipline.
- Knowledge of basic design interfaces and technical responsibilities of other groups associated with the total design effort.
- Knows how to interpret information on engineering drawings from other disciplines.
- Familiar with execution of civil works and ability to solve constructability problems.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those qualified individuals who closely meet the qualifications of the position will be contacted. The details of the position are only a summary, other duties may be assigned as necessary.
Drug Screen may be required for this position.
Talascend is an EEO Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation